20190531

Day 1,728

In my dreams I am flying and breathing light over a land full of dead soil and crumbling bones. I swoop down and grab great handfuls of decay, breathing my light onto them and reviving them before I drop them back onto the dead world to spread their life.

In my dreams I am all that is left after everything else has died. I am the one bringing it all back and creating a new world from the ashes of the old. I always thought I was some kind of angel, a being of the purest intentions - a hero.

But when I wake up I am faced with a world that is very much alive. A world that thrives in spite of the fires that spring up from nothing overnight, slowly burning the world and driving all life into isolated pockets of safety by the sea. At least it feels that way.

It wasn't until someone caught a glimpse of the creature causing all of this chaos that I realised what was happening when I retreated into my dreams. I wasn't becoming an angel in my sleep, it wasn't life that I was breathing and I wasn't welcomed as a hero.

So I gave them my light. I gave them all my light and watched the sky turn sunset red, then sickly grey. Their lungs collapsed under the weight of the ash that blocked the sun and killed the plants. I outlasted them long enough to see my dreams become reality.

And then I didn't wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment