20190823

Day 1,812

The creature sat just outside of the light's reach while I cowered as close to the table lamp as possible, ever mindful of my shadow touching the wall to my right. It was far too close to  the creature for comfort but it had me cornered and dawn was several hours away.

I gave up trying to talk to it after couple of hours, all it did was stretch its mouth into an approximation of a grin and tilt its head to one side. It was amused and I'd run out of way to try and distract it already. My only option was to wait it out - I didn't want to die in a damned motel!

The window to my left was closed and the curtains were drawn but I could just about make out the milky blue of another creature's eye watching me, unable to get any closer but so very willing to try. It liked to tap on the glass at random, drawing my gaze from the creature in front which would pretend to shuffle closer.

Bastards - the pair of them! At least the others had the decency to go away after they'd killed the other guests, dragging their bodies off somewhere out in the street. I wondered if I'd find their bodies out there when this was all over, assuming I survived.

Judging by the hissing and growling from the one outside, the sun was starting to come up. The creature in front of me wasn't as concerned. I doubt it knew that I planned to yank the curtain open as soon as the sun was up enough to have driven the other one away.

I hoped it would kill the damn thing and I'd be able to leg it out of the house or to a neighbours house or even to the roof. Anywhere but that damned corner sounded like a great idea at the time. Anywhere was safer and anywhere was safer and anywhere was safer and anywhere was...

I woke up in my bed, just before 2AM, just before I remember the first muffled screams coming from the other rooms. Before my feet had even touched the floor the screams began and all the same events came back to repeat themselves once more and dawn was so close and so far.

I don't remember us all dying but there are bullet holes all around us now and the motel looks so much older, so dilapidated and decayed. We'd been reliving that night for longer than any of us could say and it was wearing our patience thin.

I don't know when I started thinking of the creatures and myself as "we" and "us" but that's what it came to. The one in front of me even nodded when I started to vent my frustrations at being trapped like this, which may have ended in me screaming that I just wanted to die already...

That was when it spoke and asked me to step forward and end the cycle.

I don't think it remembers that we tried that before.

We've tried so many things before and none of them worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment