20200403

Day 2,034

It slept in the deep end of the pool down the far end of the caravan site where the sunlight couldn't penetrate the murky brown water. Stray traffic cones and a lone shopping cart stuck out of the rippling surface from previous sacrifices.

Nobody wanted to think about those.

The caravan site's long-term residents would tell newcomers that there was no pool but the brochures still had photos of it in its heyday, long before the divine monster moved in there and polluted the area with its miracles. If they could really be called that.

There was always too much of a price and too many fools willing to pay.

By the time I was old enough to find myself part of a wandering pack of bored teenagers it had a bodycount higher than the zodiac killer. We all knew someone who'd paid it with something unspeakable and gotten their very own blasphemous miracle.

My own parents had gone to see it when they couldn't conceive.

Long story short and many missing cats later I was born, mostly alive and probably human. Not that any of my friends knew, they just knew someone had done it and pointed their fingers all over the place. I escaped their blame everytime, no thanks to whatever slept in the pool.

I'll be the one to wake it up soon and together we'll collect every debt in full.

No comments:

Post a Comment