20200421

Day 2,053

When I worked in a call centre we kept a list of dead phone numbers. Every day we'd find at least four or five new ones where that robotic woman's voice tells you the number is no longer in service. It'd be nice if the cell companies would let us know when they kill a number but it's hoping for too much.

The dead numbers didn't used to bother me until I started getting calls from them. It'd vary from dial tone sounds to faint crying to the feeling of someone breathing on my face and every time I cross-checked to see who'd called I'd always find them on the dead list.

It wasn't too bad when they only happened once a month or so but now it happens as soon as I've registered the number as not-in-service. To make matters worse I'm starting to hear voices on the line who swear they're right behind me.

They keep asking me to put them to rest but I don't even know who or where they are. All I have to go on is a number that's no longer connected to anything and disembodied voices in my ears begging me to help them find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment