20200424

Day 2,055

The last thing my sister said was follow the crows. Never managed to say why or to where or for how long before blood finished filling her lungs and her eyes went all glassy and cold. We were all we had since our parents took our younger brother into the ocean with everyone else and left us locked in the basement.

I'm surprised they held off long enough to save us before they succumbed to the thing in the sky that had rotted the minds of every adult hours before them. Don't know why it made them all go to the ocean to drown themselves, don't know why it's left but I'm glad I don't have to look up and see it looking back down. It didn't really have a face but it still seemed smug, satisfied with all the bodies washing ashore.

That's where the crows started gathering, where me and my sister combed through all the bodies. For supplies, she said, but I knew we were looking for our parents and our brother. We never found them but we did find the keys to several well-stocked houses which kept us going for a fair while.

Eventually we found the keys to a car and figured out how to drive well enough to start heading inland. We followed the cows back then, not that I knew why and not that I know any more now. I'm sure I'll know what we were meant to be looking for when I see it.

This can't be for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment