20210205

Day 2,342

We're supposed to be taken out to sea when we're old and nearing our end. We're supposed to walk with the receding tide and sink into oblivion, scales overwhelming us until we are as our ancestors once were. We're supposed to live forever among the great abyssal reefs.

Instead they take us inland, they take us into great tanks and pressurise them until the changes take place and they watch us like starving hawks. Instead of living in peace with all who came before us we are trapped and begging for a death that will not come.

My time is approaching and my children are begging me to take a boat and head out past their nets and blockades to join the others but I am conflicted. If I am able to go to the others and have enough strength in me to break them from their prisons, to take us all to the great abyssal reefs then surely it's my duty to do so.

I wonder if they'll still recognise me when I get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment