20210213

Day 2,351

Humans were the last to succumb to the cordyceps - nasty fungus that made a leap in a lab and hopped from insects to just about everything else. And now it was our long awaited turn to succumb to numbness as it drains the body of all available nutrients before forcing you to ascend to the highest point you possibly can so it can burst free in great clouds of spores, seeking out a fresh host.

We'd been breathing these in for years now, even developed a few drugs out of them which helped ease our aches and pains whilst unfortunately hastening the end. By the time the first case was officially announced everybody already knew somebody who'd suddenly gone real quiet and decided to take a trip out of town.

Some people took it better than others, choosing to get their affairs in order before they even felt the itch in their throat as the spores began to expand and settle. Others either took their own lives or spent their remaining time trying to become as narcotised as humanly possible so as to not even feel the end nor be able to action it.

As for me, I took to the highlands. Found a cushy holiday home that probably wouldn't be missed and I'm spending the last weeks of humanity in comfort. I know I won't live to be the last human standing and honestly I'm quite grateful for that, but I still hope that the end doesn't hurt.

 I haven't found any research to say that it stops the host from feeling the sporing but I'm optimistic.

Not much else I can be at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment