20210625

Day 2,480

The blood I licked from my lips was no longer mine, I realised as I stared into my own lifeless eyes. I watched myself take one final staggered inhale that cut out halfway and my body gently curled in on itself with a single, steady exhale.

I don't know how long I crouched there, entranced by the minuscule flecks of blood that flew out on that final breath but god it was beautiful. Perhaps in that brief moment I considered myself to be a beautiful creature for the first time.

It would be several months before I stopped double-taking every reflection, before I accepted that this body was now mine and everything I had been before was curled up and rotting a few feet beneath a wild pig I killed to hide myself.

I suppose I'll always think of that body as being more me than my current one.

No comments:

Post a Comment