20210913

Day 2,560

Its body was built like a worm's nest that wanted to be human, save for the almost skeletal face perched atop the writhing mass that was attempting to make small-talk as it climbed into my little fishing boat. Maybe if it had eyes I'd feel a little less terrified but it didn't have any teeth so it could have been worse.

"So, how's this boating about work anyways? You one of them catch and release guys or do you sell 'em?" it asked. Its voice was far gentler than the agitated mass of worms that was currently trying to figure out how to nonchalantly cross its legs. I vaguely explain that it's a little of both, depending on what I catch and when.

It liked the answer, the corners or its head stretching in a way that suggest it's trying to smile.

"Sensible words, my lad. Always did wonder what you still-bodied odd-lot do up here and it just seems to click doesn't it?" it says, head gently bobbing in agreement. I wonder how long it had been studying human mannerisms for - evidently long enough for me to not have jumped ship immediately.

We spent a good half hour in idle conversation about this-and-that, all the nothingness of the talks you have with aunties you've not seen since you were seven but with a much more unsettling tone. That and the occasional moment where a limb would uncoil too much and fall off, leading to profuse apologies on both sides.

By the time it patted its thighs and said "Right, better let me let you go. Fishes to catch and all - have a good'n lad!" as it leaned back and slid into the water with scarcely a ripple. I watched the faint white haze of its body slither deeper and further away til I realised I'd just been staring at the water for almost an hour.

I don't use that fishing spot any more, I take myself down to the coast instead and try not to think about the pleasant, yet disturbing worm-thing of the lake. Much as I hope he hasn't bothered anyone else, there are times when the sea is too quiet and too still and I miss our little chats.

Then I remember the way he tried to smile and suddenly, I'm alright thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment