20220105

Day 2,674

She'd been impaled from below, the angle of the branch jutting through her torso and the blood splattered on her dress made that clear. Unfortunately she was still moving, well, she was screaming and frantically writhing in place as if that would free her. It was a good attempt.

Not nearly enough to free her from the lake's tooth though, not that she'd known what it was when she went swimming... not that any of us thought that anyone would be daft enough to swim there. If we'd had the slightest inkling that she was about to do something so lethal we would have said something - honestly we would.

Thing is, nobody swims out in the lake's mouth - it's called The Lake's Mouth for god's sake. If that and the dozens of "Do Not Swim" signs aren't enough of a giveaway that there's something unnatural and hungry beneath the water then I don't know what else to do.

I mean when a tooth snares you there's nothing else anyone can do save for putting you out of your misery. I'd hate to be the one to do it, not when the lake seeps into my dreams to rage against me stealing its prey, begging and persuading me to take their place as recompense.

So this time I just watched from the safety or the shoreline as she slowly passed away into the silent water.

No comments:

Post a Comment