20220505

Day 2,794

It looked so human in our headlights and when we got out of the car. It talked like it was a scared young woman, knowing that we'd find it harder to just leave it and drive away from her. It lured us to a secluded clearing, begging for us to help her find her son.

After several hours of finding nothing and gradually losing sight of my husband and the not-woman as they followed the cries of someone that I couldn't hear, I heard my husband start screaming. I tried to find him - really I did - but it was already so late and so dark and I was so very lost that I had no other choice but to try and find the car and call for help.

We were so far from anywhere that it took several hours for the police to arrive, not that they were any help. They never found him, just his footprints in the mud by the river along with large paw tracks. They figured he'd been caught off guard by a mountain lion, completely ignoring me telling them about the woman who lured us out into the woods.

The woman who I keep seeing around town wearing my husband's jacket.

The woman who vanishes when I try to follow her.

The woman who isn't a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment