20220506

Day 2,795

It was so dark I didn't realise how close it was until I bumped right into it, peering up as its featureless face slowly split to reveal dozens of rows of  jagged teeth. I felt a scream trying to burst through my frozen fear and clenched my mouth shut, not wanting to break the silence. It couldn't see, that much I knew from the way it was using its insectoid limbs to prod at the ground and walls of the narrow street.

There was no way I could pass it by, no doorways nearby to duck into and no chance that it didn't know I was there. The skin around its teeth twitched in time to the stuttering of each of my terrified breaths, it was so close I could smell the rancid meat lingering on its own breath and felt vomit rising up my throat.

With a painfully loud swallow I forced it back down, only for it to surge back up as it let out an excited exhale far too close to my face. As I blinked back tears and prepared for the worst, a shriek cut through the air and it tore off back down the street, chasing after the sudden sound.

I made it back home, collapsing as soon as I locked the door and I haven't been out at night since.

I can't rely on a fluke like that again, can't risk my life like that again.

Can't bear to open the windows when the scent of its breath is so very near.

No comments:

Post a Comment