20190612

Day 1,740

My route was around the docks, between the admin blocks and the first thirty rows of bulk cargo. It was pretty quiet until someone started targeting us. Five other security guys were found shredded to pieces with their right hand clutching a legitimate Spanish doubloon.

The boss tripled the staff he kept around during the early mornings and evenings - the busiest periods - while the rest of us were given trained dogs and told to keep our eyes open. You can tell how much they care for us, at least when there's reporters lurking by the fences.

It was going fairly well though, once the newer staff settled in and our dogs got used to the routes we took and the strange hours we were scheduled to. Mine was fine at first, a little jumpy at the corners but overall a solid guard dog. Something in him changed when he ran off last week.

I had my eyes off him for less than five minutes when he tore away from me at breakneck speed round the next corner where I found him howling at one of the shipping containers. Of course I called a couple of the guys over to help me check it out but we found nothing.

We marked it as suspicious and went about the rest of our shifts. Meanwhile the dog went from highly alert and constantly scanning the horizon to a staggering, drooling wreck in a matter of days. We barely managed an hour before he'd have to lie down, eyes struggling to stay open.

The next time I went to pick him up from the main base, they said he'd been attacked by another dog. I might have believed them too but when I caught a glimpse of his poor mangled body, there was a glint of gold from underneath his right paw.

No comments:

Post a Comment