20190624

Day 1,752

When I go to the forest I've always gone down the same familiar loop that takes me from the car park to the rope swings over the pond to a winding little path through the outskirts of the forest and back around to the car park. I knew that walk like the back of my hand which is why I decided to be a little spontaneous for once and just head forwards.

It was fine at first, following little cobbled walkways and feeling dappled sunlight warm my skin as it peeped through the dense trees which only seemed to grow denser as I went further in. Every now and then I heard rustling sounds above and around me and I felt like I was inches away from something a lot bigger than me.

I assumed it was squirrels and deer or foxes and I just carried on, trying to convince myself that this new route was a good idea, a much needed change in pace. Then I stumbled into a clearing full of dilapidated houses with thatched roofs that looked to be straight out of a history book.

The rustling sounds came back, came from behind me and something started to growl. I acted purely on instinct when I ducked into the first house I saw and made a beeline for the stairs, hoping to find some way of getting onto the roof and away from anything on the ground.

I didn't even think to check if the house was occupied and quite frankly when I'd finished scrambling through a window and onto the roof I didn't care. I was too focused on the sheer size of the creature that was now slowly stalking through the village and wondering how I didn't notice it following me this entire time.

It looked like a wolf and a crocodile got into a fight with a sewing machine and lost... badly... and ended up the size of a van... that spent most of its time rolling around in rotting meat... and was definitely aware that I was nearby but couldn't quite pinpoint my location.

Honestly I probably would have spent the rest of the day up there waiting for it to leave but someone politely tapped my elbow. If I wasn't wearing my glasses I'd have thought they were human but in full focus they were definitely Something Else.

The Something Else tried to beckon me inside but I was a bit busy clinging onto the thatched roof for dear life and trying not to make a sound in case the creature snuffling about the village heard me and looked up. With a quiet sigh the Something Else grabbed hold of my sleeve and yanked me inside.

I thought the thud of our landing would have alerted the creature but apparently it was already aware. I looked up out the window just in time to see the tip of its snout peer over and a disgustingly large tongue begin to sweep over where I had just been, tasting the ground and hoping to find meat.

As its face started rising up over the ledge, as I thought it would finally see me and this would be my end once and for all - a sharp metallic crash sounded from the far end of the village, immediately drawing its attention away.

The Something Else dragged me upright and back through the forest, completely avoiding the cobbled walkways which I saw from a distance. The stones were writhing in place and I had a feeling that they were somehow a part of the creature like thousands of little eyes.

Before long we were at the edge of the forest and I was being gently pushed out into the field beside the car park. I turned around to thank the Something Else but it was already too far away. Ever since that day I've been sticking to my usual route and carrying a large knife in my bag.

Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment