20190625

Day 1,753

Kids eat bugs all the time, can't stop the little bastards even if you keep them indoors all day. They always find a bug somewhere and decide that it's the best snack in the world because they saw a cartoon do it and it looked fun or some bullshit.

That's where it all started and I was left trying to figure out how to explain to an ambulance that I sent my son to bed early with a bit of a temperature and when I checked in on him he looked more like a beehive than anything remotely human.

I saw him eat that damned bug and didn't think twice about it. I didn't even see what kind of bug it was, I just assumed it was a beetle or whatever his pudgy little hands had managed to grab. There was nothing on the news about these drone beetle things back then.

Now we know better, we know they get into your head and the next thing you know they're in your nervous system and behind your eyes and you are a thousand chitinous eyes searching for companionship, for more hives and more hungry mouths.

It took me months to make my choice and I don't think I'll regret it. I made sure I'd caught the right insect and double-checked it with my son too. He may not be able to talk any more but his eyes still move, or maybe the larvae are moving them. It's hard to tell.

My husband wasn't keen on joining us but I slipped his bug into last night's dinner. I ate mine three hours ago so by this time next week I'll be sat next to my son and my husband and we'll be one big happy hive full of life and more importantly, we'll be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment